Blog Archive

Friday, August 19, 2016

Getting Started

So you want to learn to sew, huh? GREAT! Its easy to get started. I promise. 

What you NEED to get started:

Sewing machine. Super basic is fine!!
Thread. 
Scissors.
Pins.
Pattern.
Fabric (prewashed exactly how you plan to launder your garment once its completed.)


That's it!


You don't need any fancy machines or gadgets to get started. Many patterns will say to serge things, BUT you can use a zig-zag stitch on your regular sewing machine instead.


Things that are super nice to have:

Cutting mat.
Rotary cutter.
Clear ruler.
Wonder Clips.
Pen and paper.





Got your stuff?! Lets get started!

First things first, cut out your pattern (NOT WITH YOUR FABRIC SCISSORS!). If you are using a PDF pattern you will need to print it and tape it together first. MOST pattern designers include a tutorial of how to tape their patterns together in the pattern file.

Now you're ready to cut your fabric!

Before I cut I make little tags out of paper that say what each piece is and what pattern it goes to. Helps to keep things organized, especially if you are going to be cutting more than one pattern out at a time. No mix ups!

To cut your fabric, lay it out on a large surface. I use my kitchen table, but you can even do it on the floor.

Your pattern pieces should tell you which way the grain line should go, or which direction the stretch should go.

Grain line will run parallel to the selvedge of your fabric.

Stretch will be perpendicular to the selvedge.

Look over your pieces to be sure you lay them the correct way on your fabric.

Note that some pattern pieces may require you to cut on the fold. What this means is that you will fold your fabric over and place the side of your piece that says fold on the fold line to cut.

Some pieces, like sleeves or pant legs, may say to cut 2 mirrored. To do this you simply cut one with the words on your pattern facing up, and then you cut a second with the words facing down. you can also fold your fabric over and cut through both layers of fabric at once, cutting off the fold. This way uses up a bit more fabric.

You also want to be sure, BEFORE you cut, that the direction of your print is going the correct way. I may or may not have made a few things for the kids with the print going the wrong way because I didn't pay enough attention...

Look closely at the back of her shirt...

Now cut!

Using scissors, I will pin the pattern piece to the fabric and cut it out that way.

Using a rotary cutter and mat I use pattern weights (ok, whatever is close by and heavy enough...) to hold my pattern piece down while I cut it out.

Pin your piece tags to the pieces as you cut each one out.

There! The worst part is done!

Now onto your machine...

Consult your manual to be sure you have your bobbin and needle threaded properly.

Check your needle. Sewing with knit (stretchy) fabrics you will want to use a ball point needle. Woven (not stretchy) fabrics should be done with a universal needle.

Now you're ready to go! Follow the directions for your pattern on how to sew each piece together, and when you're done show me what you've made! I can't wait to see!

Next time, we will make something together!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm too nervous to try! And I don't know what type of needles I have as I have hand-me-down machines!

Busy Mama Sews! said...

Needles get dull with use, and that can cause problems, so you'll want to buy new needles before you get started. Don't be nervous! The only way to get started is to just go for it!